Like most of you, we’re confined to the house right now, and comfort food is absolutely necessary. So yesterday, we had shepherd’s pie.
The filling was
- 400g frozen lamb (from Iceland)
- 1 mug of red lentils
- 1 chopped onion
- a few rather wizened mushrooms
- a tin of baked beans
- some Henderson’s relish (use Lea and Perrins if you have it)
- a good pinch of mixed herbs
- garlic granules (or fresh garlic, but I love granules)
Fried off the onion and mushrooms in olive oil. Dry fried the mince – it was frozen, so easy to do. Add mince, Hendo’s, lentils, baked beans, herbs, garlic granules. I hurled in the last of Monday night’s onion gravy too.
I cooked this on a low heat for about 90 minutes, just to let the flavours embed. Topped with mashed potato with grated Red Leicester cheese through it.
It made enough filling for eight portions. We made a big enough pie to do two nights, and the other half of the mix will go into the freezer for another day.